Fibreglass or marbelite: which should you choose?
So you’ve decided to add the ultimate summer investment to your home – a pool. But you’ve probably heard many a debate on whether to use marbelite or fibreglass, and now you may be wondering which is going to suit your home and lifestyle best.
Well, it’s going to depend on a number of things such as the size, depth, the shape you want your pool to be, the type of ground it’s going to be installed in, and, of course, how much you’re willing to invest.
Here is a guide on the pros and cons of both to help you make an informed choice.
Marbelite pools are created using coloured marble plaster and cement.
Because it has a porous finish, dirt and algae are more prone to attach to the walls of a marbelite pool than those of a fibreglass pool. This all means that marbelite pools require a bit more TLC to be kept in top condition.
Built correctly and maintained with proper care, you can expect a marbelite pool to last for about 15 years until you need to re-marbelite.
- Customisable in terms of unique shapes
- Non-slippery surface
- Able to customise the pool with porcelain mosaics
- It allows for a wide variety of colour finishes
- Surfaces become rough over time
- Due to the porous finish, algae is able to attach itself to surfaces more easily
- Chemical mismanagement can lead to discolouration of the surfaces
With fibreglass pools, the structure is built and then finished with a coating of fibreglass poolcoat, making them non-porous and ideal for those looking for a basic, functional pool that requires the least amount of maintenance.
If installed properly, a fibreglass pool could easily last up to 30 years. However, they do need a top-coat replacement every 20 years.
- Requires fewer chemicals
- Easier to treat algae growth
- Able to use chemicals and pool cleaners 72 hours after construction
- More slippery surface
- Have a higher acidic level
- If not applied correctly, will de-laminate and detach itself from the wall
Still not sure which to choose? Contact an expert from The Pool Team for personalised advice.